Saturday, October 9, 2010


Dust rises in the moon light
Shining through the boards
And cracks in the wall
Oil lamps flicker
From my master's house
Strange is this light
That floats o’er the fields
The cotton is stilled
In the deep air of August
Reflection on moist skin
Warm, black as night
Smooth and alive
I watch as it rises
With each passing breath
I’m sensing your youth
For older was I,
A slave to another
Son of a warrior
African decent
Sweat soaked and naked
Louisiana plantation
Sounds of the South
Prayer speak, voodoo
Softly spoken incantations
Night sounds 
Strange cicada
Gator and cotton mouth
Hum of mosquitoes 
Roll of the gar
Blind is the old man
Who rattles his bones
Under oaks draped in moss
Near the dark bayou waters
They bred us as cattle
They used us for barter
Yet you were so gentle
You stuck in my mind
Bearing my child
They dragged you away
Oft'times I've wondered
Where you may have gone to
But I died a year later
In the first part of May
We'd known one another
And old were our souls
Young were our bodies
All shackled and chained
Yet time keeps moving
It's funny how it happen
I'm driving my car
Stopped for no reason 
Just for one moment
Then suddenly I saw you
Turning you smiled
For having remembered
That life long ago 
In a time far away